Monday, March 31, 2008

Other: EN PSOBB Finally Shuts Down and Etc.

At around 4:40 PM PDT the servers came to a close with a nice 10 minute warning. Almost puts an end to an era. Interesting to note, the lobbies changed almost at random today. Certain holidays (including curtains, cherry blossoms, and Sonic) came and went. The only official servers left are PSOBB JP and PSOX EN. The EN Xbox server is supposed to follow the JP one soon enough in closing as mentioned by Clumsyorchid (Eternal Christmas can't last forever). I can see PSOBB JP lasting for a good length longer.

Our PSOBB servers aren't the only thing gone missing. Sega's Korean division, Sega Direct, and Sammy's European division (as of a few weeks ago) have been closed. There was also a mention of a cancelled amusement complex they had already invested some money in.

I have to wonder if perhaps it would have been in their (Sega Korea's) interests to setup billing for PSO (as well as PSU if it hadn't been) over there. There are some surprising countries that weren't able to pay and play the game.

Sega Direct just launched a few of the more major PS 20th anniversary items on the 27th (OST, game collection). However, their site was in maintenance shortly there after followed by a mention of major site failure. They ended up taking some orders over the phone exclusively.

It's not all doom and gloom though. I can see some pretty promising (rumored as well as detailed) stuff on the horizon.

Update: Sega Direct is now taking orders (still over the phone) until April 3rd.

Announcement Topic

2 comments:

Fishboy g5x said...

I just want to add my thanks for the fun I've had on PSO PC.

I can say with 100% certainty, if I could play PSO online with my 360, I'd be doing so.

As it is, I'm just waiting for PSU to morph in to PSO. ;-)

Cheers all! Happy gaming.

S-T-H said...

I feel the same way. If a nice widescreen (or even not) version came to XBLA or gametap or something I'd be all over it.

But for now, let's just watch as more and more PSO is added to PSU. I can only see more of it coming down the road.